Monday, February 22, 2010

Oh my...

So we've offically canned the house I fell in love with. It was falling down the hill and had major foundation issues. So we are back to square one.



This weekend I went to Pismo Beach (and the Madonna Inn--I LOVE their cake, so much that I spent $20 on 3 slices of different cakes). My best friend Sari and I went on a road trip to celebrate her birthday. It speaks to me that we spent the 3.5 hours down completely talking and catching up (we don't see each other much now since we both have significant others). It was beautiful to stand on the pier and have some honest conversations while watching the surf. It made me long to be younger and out there with my parents riding dirt bikes in the dunes.



Sunday we spent the day looking at more houses. Found one that I would absolutely love but is completely out of reach financially. Looked at a few that were really crazy and had thoughts of demolition dancing in my head.



Buying a house is an anxiety inducer. There are so many varibules and unknowns. I didn't even realize how freaking expensive it is to put in an offer. You have to have 1% deposit, pay for all the inspections (pest, etc), and that doesn't count the down payment or the fees once the house has closed (somewhere between 1-4% of the cost of the house). You have to have major cash on hand to do this. I mean $100 bucks is still a lot of money to me. Then we're talking putting $70,000 in cash for a place that may or may not appreciate. It's a little more than I can handle. Thank god for Zac, he takes these HUGE house prices and translates it into what it would mean monthly for us.



I suppose I could look at smaller houses, with less space than we currently have. But my dad told me to either trade up or don't trade at all. I'm currently in a 2bed 1bath with den. The house is one of the oldest structures on the street and has all those quirks an old house has. When it boils down to it I have to have at least another 1/2 bath (boys are icky). That's all I'm asking to add at this point. Although there are the "wouldn't it be nice if...." parts like a garage with storage space, a dishwasher (I think I'd kill for one at this point), a big back yard to plant our garden in.





I love looking but at this point I would prefer some definites rather than some maybes.

No comments:

Post a Comment